Urban and Outdoor Preparation, Product Reviews and General Discussions about Living near and Enjoying the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.

Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Jeff White and R.Jones Bushcraft Knife

Discovering hidden treasures and then sharing them with others is always exciting to me. That's what I've attempted to do through this blog.  Now, discovering hidden treasures in the custom knife world where function, quality and aesthetics come together well in a single knife is rare.  It is even more rare when those elements in a custom knife are available at a very reasonable cost.  From time to time, I find myself visiting the BushcraftUSA forum.  Back in November, I ran across several posts that caught my attention referring to a custom knife that was designed through the collaboration of  Robert Jones (aka Beo-wulf) and Jeff White a custom knife maker. Robert makes custom, hand-sewn leather knife sheaths; however, the design of this particular knife -- The Jeff White and R.Jones Bushcraft Knife -- was conceptualized by Robert.  The knife can be purchased from Robert either on Ebay or through the BushcraftUSA Vendor forum here.  If you visit Robert's vendor page you will see the excellent reviews and the high praises that this knife deserves.  I must admit, after reading through the forum, I was captivated and convinced that this was a knife worth getting. Receiving and opening the package and inspecting the knife up close and personal confirmed that I had made the right choice. The blade out of the package was sharp, the knife felt good in my hands, and I was immediately drawn to its simplicity and beauty. I was able to hone the knife to a very scary sharp edge in no time. Also, I removed the original finish on the curly maple handles, and finished it with boiled linseed oil. The curly maple really popped by doing this. Here are the specifications:

Jeff White and Jones Bushcraft Knife:

Made from 1095 High Carbon Steel
Full Tang construction - 1/8" Thickness
4.75" Blade Length
4.5" Handle Length
Beautiful Curly Maple Scales
Secured with 2 Brass Pins
Robert Jones Hand-sewn Leather Sheath

The knife blade is stamped with the Maker's marks of both Robert Jones and Jeff White.  What makes this knife aesthetically pleasing is the way 2/3rds of the blade has been left unfinished from the heat treatment and about 1/3rd of the blade is polished and sharpened.  By adding the curly maple scales, the knife has a very rugged, noble and classic look.  The styling and design is quite simple, beautiful, yet effective.  I've used this knife off and on for a variety of tasks in the kitchen for food prep; outdoors prepping wood for a fire; notching; carving, slicing, feathering, etc.  The knife just works well and holds an edge well. I have been very pleased and impressed.  The leather sheath is also of a simple design; made of thick leather and hand-sewn. My impression is that this sheath will last forever.  The sheath complements the knife very well; no doubt, Robert, when he designed the knife, had in his mind the very sheath design that would be a perfect mate for the knife. This a true custom knife, so keep in mind, should you order this knife, your knife will only be similar to what I received.  The finish left from the heat treatment and the polished portion will certainly be different than what I have pictured.  As well, the curly maple handles will, very likely, be different, depending upon the stock used by Jeff White.  Nevertheless, I'm confident that you will be satisfied.  There are certainly no shortages of excellent custom knife makers to choose from; however, the Jeff White and R.Jones Bushcraft knife reminds you of bygone days with its simple and rugged design.  More importantly, it is beautiful, functional and priced right!  ~Keep it Sharp.

3 comments:

  1. Nice writeup! I bought one of these after reading your review and it is a great knife -- the price is amazing.

    What did you use to strip the original finish? I'm thinking of giving mine the linseed oil treatment too but I'm not sure how to take the old finish off without lots of sanding -- and I don't want to take a ton of wood off the handle. It's a nice size and shape as-is.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are enjoying the knife; it really is a great knife for the price. I actually sanded the original finish off of the knife; I don't recall spending a whole lot of time doing it... Maybe 20 minutes or so. The boiled linseed oil does a great job of accenting the maple handles. Thanks for stopping by, I'm glad the write-up helped your decision!

      Delete
  2. It's interesting that most bushcraft knives have really simple designs. I guess it works off Keep It Simple Stupid because the less that's going on with the knife, the less likely of having issues with it. There's such a difference in getting a bladesmith to produce something instead of buying mass produced products.

    ReplyDelete