Urban and Outdoor Preparation, Product Reviews and General Discussions about Living near and Enjoying the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Knife Review of Sanrenmu 707 - EDC


There’s been a lot of discussion and speculation on the quality of inexpensive knives coming out of China.  Notice that I used the word inexpensive and not cheap;  because after doing a fair bit of reading and research on the build quality, fit and finish of the Sanrenmu brand of knives, I finally decided to purchase one a few weeks ago.  One major positive on these knives, is that they are reported to be manufactured in the same plant with the Spyderco Tenacious, CRKT Drifter and some models of Benchmade.   Speculation or not, I have been very much impressed with the overall quality and the attention to detail of the Sanrenmu 707 which I purchased from a USA Ebay Seller. Even more impressive is the sticker price at around $11.00 shipped.    By the way, the Sanrenmu looks identical to the CRKT Drifter which retails at around $23.00 plus shipping.  Any of us would be hard pressed to find a knife of this quality at even double the price.  I own the excellent and affordable Ken Onion designed Kershaw Vapor and the Sanrenmu 707 easily compares in terms of workmanship, ease of sharpening and ease of deployment. Here are the specs:

Blade-8cr13MOV 57 HRC
G10 Handles
Lanyard Hole
Razor Sharp
Thumb Studs Opening
Stainless Steel Pocket Clip 
Open- 6 1/2"
Closed-3 1/2"
Weight- 2 3/8ozs.

The blade locks firmly in the deployed position; and, there is no noticeable blade play.  The edge came super sharp from the factory.  However, after re-profiling using a Japanese waterstone (1000/6000 grit) and using a leather strop, I was able to achieve a convex edge on the blade; I prefer the convex edge for sharpness and edge retention.  I was able to get this particular blade sharp enough to shave facial hair.  Now I’m not hard on my knives, but, to see how good the steel and edge retention would be, I spent some time making feather sticks and just doing some general whittling.  The Sanrenmu performed these tasks effortlessly, and it was really quite enjoyable.  The blade retained a reasonable amount of sharpness still able to slice through paper without hesitation.  After a couple of strops on the leather paddle, I was able to get that hair shaving sharpness again.  I’ve been carrying this knife as my EDC for about a month now, and I am confident that it will fulfill any needed task.  In terms of quality workmanship, style and price this knife is highly recommended.  ~Keep it Sharp.

4 comments:

  1. Nice review. Getting one for myself too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you will be pleased with the acquisition. I have also been carrying the SRM 710 model and will be posting a review sometime soon. Thanks, ~Keep it Sharp.

      Delete
  2. Bidding on one right now:) Good review and awesome pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the feedback. Good luck on the acquisition; you won't be disappointed. You might want to also consider the Sanrenmu 710. I've been carrying this knife since May and have been quite pleased. I've done a review on this knife, as well. Either way you'll be happy. ~Keep it Sharp.

    ReplyDelete