Urban and Outdoor Preparation, Product Reviews and General Discussions about Living near and Enjoying the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.

Saturday, May 5, 2012

EDC Carry - Vintage Fountain Pen



There are some things from the past that I really appreciate; and, at least from my perspective, helps me to slow  the pace of life down.  One of those things that have helped me to keep this perspective is a fountain pen.  Now I know that for most of us, thinking about such an utilitarian item seems inconsequential, particularly with the advent of netbooks, laptops, tablets and smartphones; however, part of my EDC includes a vintage fountain pen. So, let me try to convince  you (or at least peak your interest) that there is a nostalgia and nobleness related to carrying and using a fountain pen. While there may be a stark contrast in carrying say an Esterbrook J vintage fountain pen with a Glock 26, there is also a synergism that exists which complement one another.  There is a feeling that is difficult to describe when using a fountain pen, and can be understood only after writing with one.  In fact, most who use a fountain pen on a daily basis regard all other writing instruments as ink sticks.  While my preferred personal notebook is a black softcover Moleskine, my black Esterbrook J (which boasts a 9048 writing nib) writes exceptionally smooth on most papers with nary any bleed through.  The ease in keeping the pen filled with ink is accomplished through a lever filler and bottled ink; so; since I keep bottles of ink in a variety of colors at home and work, I never have to be concerned about running dry.  There is a style and elegance in writing with such a vintage instrument with some who will claim that their penmanship has vastly improved and is attributable specifically to using a fountain pen.  I have received many astonished looks when I pull out the Esterbrook to sign papers or while I take notes.  A conversation starter for sure, my vintage Esterbrook J fountain pen is a classic EDC that will never go out of style and does not disappoint.  Incidently, the Esterbrook J is more than 60 years old. ~Keep it Sharp.

4 comments:

  1. Nice pen, man!

    Considering that you carry it all day every day, how do you deal with the risk of leakage?

    I love how they write, but I just gave up EDCing a fountain pen after my Lamy Al-Star (a much cheaper and less prestigious but more 'practical' pen) stained two of my jeans because the pocket-clipped cap came off.

    Is a pen like yours less likely to leak? Or are fountain pens not at all recommended for an out-and-about kind of guy? One of my leaks occurred during a bicycle ride, the other on a hike. Is it possible to carry a fountain pen as I carry my other EDC items–not worrying about it at all, and forgetting that it's there until I need it?

    Also, I hear fountain pens tend to explode during plane rides. How true is that?

    I'm overthinking this,

    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment. A majority of my Fountain Pens have screw caps; so, I haven't had the misfortune of having a pen leak. At work, I am usually in a dress shirt with a pocket, so no problem with carrying; however, with a screw cap, when not at work, I don't hesitate to carry a fountain pen in the front pocket of my jeans or shorts. While outdoors, I tend to be practical always tucking my fountain pen in one of the available pockets of my CamelBak. Overall, I think you'll find that a screw cap will be less prone to having the cap come off. I have found the Esterbrooks to be a reliable and worthy writer.

      Delete
  2. What kind of holster is that? Looks like exactly what I've been trying to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The holster is a Don Hume H715. I originally bought the holster to carry a Taurus PT-145, but found that the Glock fit perfectly. It continues to be a comfortable concealed carry holster for me. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete